Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rami: Response to Mike's 2/27 Post

No argument from me, Mike. Oh, I take it back. Of there is an argument from me. What would a rabbi be without an argument?

I’m just wondering about the idea that spiritual discipline is a means toward a desirable end. I used to think that my meditation and chanting practices would get me something or take me somewhere. But I no longer think that. No I am not sure that there is anywhere to go or anything to be gotten. God is in, with, and as all things so where is there to go or what is there to get? Now I meditate and chant for the sheer pleasure of doing so.

In Judaism we call this Torah lishma, Torah for its own sake. This is considered the highest form of practice: no aim, no reward, no expectations, just rejoicing in the presence of God, the Shekhina, through study, prayer, contemplation, and chanting. Works for me.

On to the next verse?

No comments: